About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Empty nesters...ready to stretch our wings. Life is good and we plan on making it even better. This blog is mostly about our trips to Vieques Puerto Rico, with a few odds and ends thrown in about our life after the mortgage.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Vieques questions and answers

Since Lorrie has been getting so many questions about our trip to Vieques I thought I would answer a few of the questions here. First where is it? Well it's off the east coast of Puerto Rico. I circled it in yellow below.

Next question that keeps coming up is "did you use a travel agent". My gosh no. Who would these days with the internet at your finger tips. I did book the flight through Priceline.com, but I won't for our fall trip. I'll just go through Continental. To get from the main island of Puerto Rico to Vieques took about 25 mins. We used Cape Air . The only other way to get to Vieques is by ferry. I ran the numbers flying into San Juan and then renting a car and driving to Fajardo to catch the ferry. Not a whole lot of difference just flying onto the island. Plus, unless you plan staying in San Juan overnight your gonna have to plan things right to catch the ferry. Here's a link to information about the ferry.

It took us about 11hrs to get to Vieques coming out of Indianapolis. We flew to Houston then to San Juan the over to the Island. We had 2hr lay overs between flights. Cheapest tickets I've found so far are running $450 to get you to Vieques outta Indy.

I really need to say before I forget, Vieques is not a place to go to be "entertained". Your not gonna see a ton of people  parasailing or jet skiing  and there's not any shrink-wrapped resort complexes along the beach  front.  There are many poor people that live on the island. Well...poor in the sense that they might not have quite all the material things that so many of us in the states consider standard and essential, especially regarding our residences. But that doesn't really mean they're truely poor. What was it Thoreau said..."A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone". Well you get my drift.

We stayed at the Hacienda Tamrindo just west of Esperanza. Can't say enough about this place. Check out the reviews of it on Trip Advisor.

We ate at Next Course, Bananas, Lazy Jacks,

No comments:

Post a Comment