About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Empty nesters...ready to stretch our wings. Life is good and we plan on making it even better. This blog is mostly about our trips to Vieques Puerto Rico, with a few odds and ends thrown in about our life after the mortgage.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mission Accomplished....

Yes we did it! Mr Crab is now back on La Chata beach where he came from. I bet he's got more frequent flyer miles than any of his buds. We put together a short video to mark the occasion:


Flight was good, no problems at all. Arrived on Vieques at 4pm. Our luggage got split between two different Cape Air flights, but it was only about 10 minutes  before we had it. Allen, our property manager, picked us up right on time. We spent 2 hours at the house talking with him. What a great guy and he's a carpenter too. He gave us an idea for an adventure this trip. Anyone ever hear of "jumping rock?"  Anyway...by the time we finally got unpacked and headed into town to get provisions it was almost 8pm.

It seems that with each trip we encounter some sort of snafu right out of the gate. This time it was our credit card provider. For what ever reason they decided to DECLINE my card when I went to pay at Morales. Yikes!! I hadn't taken much cash with me to the store (not $240 worth) so I pulled out my American Express and, as is the case more and more these days, they weren't taking it (I'm really beginning to wonder why I even keep it anymore?) So...there we are, cart full of groceries and no way to pay for them. I try to call the bank who issued the card with Lorrie's phone  but it refuses to work.   It's raining like hell outside now but my only option is to head back to the house, Lorrie decides to wait next to the cart.

 I had a pretty good idea where the house was, but with the rain and all who knew how this would end up. Only took 10 minutes to find the place and while I was there I grabbed my phone and called the credit card company.  As it turns out they had denied my card because of what was deemed "suspicious" activity? In the back of my mind I'm thinking " Kincaid knows  I'm  back on island!" Anyway, they turned the card back on, if one can do that? I drove back to Morales and presented the same card to the girl who had just swiped it 3 times and got denied. She looked at me as if to say "your kidding me, right?"  It worked this time though.

Back  to the house to put away provisions. It was now 11pm and we had been up since 1:30a.m. Long day,  jeez...

 But we're back on the island.

Ahhhhhhhh.....

:-)

More to come on the house, gawd it's beautiful and they haven't missed ANYTHING as far as those tiny little amenities that make ALL the difference. I almost hate to talk about his one, cause it's a real keeper.

8 comments:

  1. I always call my credit care company before traveling to let them know I will be making purchases in Puerto Rico, whether it be Vieques or Culebra and have never had any problems. They always thank me for calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah...probably should have. I used to until they started telling me they didn't do that anymore. Funny how the purchases in San Juan when thru just fine and we spent way more there than at Morales? Also, we spent a month here every year. One would think these banks would have some sort of data bases that track that sort of thing. In the end I suppose it's a good thing, for all parties involved.

      Delete
  2. WooHoo! I can't believe you guys actually did it :) Good job and most excellent choice of music for the end of his adventure. Now relax..you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house really is amazing. Enjoy it! :) Amalia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother in law was in the shower at Los Cocos and saw you guys....he was confused as to why someone would bring a shell TO the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you've followed the story you can explain that Mr. Crab was a temporary visitor with us. We only felt it necessary to take him back to where he came from.

      :-)

      Delete
  5. So happy he made it back safe and sound. I bet Mr. Crab is going to miss that all natural peanut butter though. ;-)

    We still have yet to make it to Vieques (for other reasons we will be staying in the U.S. this year), but look forward to your blog and updates on Vieques and plan on visiting in 2015.

    Thanks for sharing your adventures. They help us get through these dreary Wisconsin winters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a new appreciation for hermit crabs, having had one live with us for nearly 9 months. Also we understand the dreary winters. Here in Indiana is been brutal. Sometimes I feel like our trips to Vieques are the only thing that gets us through.

      :-)

      Delete